Tuesday
Today wasn't bad, pretty busy actually, in fact; I was actually doing something all day!
I had forgotten that today dad was taking his cub scouts to his job, If I wasn't so groggy I'd have gone too. last night before I prayed right before I went to bed.
"God I just ask that you wake me up with a servants heart, eager to be helpful and to listen and with a knowledge of what to do." (It really worked too!) So after I was woken up (at 8) and we sent dad off, I did some more waking up, then cleaned some of the kitchen. About 9 am I went back to bed and napped until probably noon. Then I proceeded to clean some more with the vacuum and disinfectant...
About 1:30 I began making my cakes. The batter for the first set of two (there were originally only going to be 2 cakes but I wound up making a third and a half) ended up wrong and was very stiff; they baked really fast. (box cakes sheesh) but didn't turn out as nice as I'd hoped, only one and a half survived that batch. SOMEONE ate the other half. (so that's 1 1/2 9inch round cakes.) The plan was to make a Swedish Fish (r) cake, and a Sour Watermelon (r) from Sour patch (r) cake. They actually turned out pretty good, I was only making them for practice anyway. When we unload the pictures from the passport shoots, I'll get the pictures of the cakes. Anyway I cut the survivor cake in two and stacked it so it was a two layer cake, and my siblings kind of had at the remainders of the other cake >.> to my dismay there wasn't enough left to do anything useful with. Then I baked a second cake (and followed the directions better) while making butter cream icing.
This is that amazing icing that my mom uses:
1lb Crisco (or similar product, exactly one pound)
dump Crisco into large mixer
1tsp butter flavoring (add immediately)
1tsp of either/both vanilla flavor or almond flavor (or whatever flavor I want to try orange) (add with butter flavor)
Mix at low-med until smooth. You'll know because the Crisco wont be like it was in the can it'll be just slightly creamier.
Turn the mixer off (this is essential)
1/4th cup of water. this will stiffen the Crisco make it all spready instead of sticky kind of. Don't mix completely however: mix on low until you see the water begin to saturate into the Crisco then stop. You want it looking a little juicy.
Turn the mixer off (again essential unless you want to be cleaning powdered sugar for the rest of eternity)
2lbs bag of powdered sugar. make SURE the mixer is off when you dump this in, that's right just dump it in.
This is that amazing icing that my mom uses:
1lb Crisco (or similar product, exactly one pound)
dump Crisco into large mixer
1tsp butter flavoring (add immediately)
1tsp of either/both vanilla flavor or almond flavor (or whatever flavor I want to try orange) (add with butter flavor)
Mix at low-med until smooth. You'll know because the Crisco wont be like it was in the can it'll be just slightly creamier.
Turn the mixer off (this is essential)
1/4th cup of water. this will stiffen the Crisco make it all spready instead of sticky kind of. Don't mix completely however: mix on low until you see the water begin to saturate into the Crisco then stop. You want it looking a little juicy.
Turn the mixer off (again essential unless you want to be cleaning powdered sugar for the rest of eternity)
2lbs bag of powdered sugar. make SURE the mixer is off when you dump this in, that's right just dump it in.
Almost done...
Get a paper towel or rag or something to cover your mixing bowl with or shield it or something because when you take this next step the powdered sugar is going to cloud, so if you have a nice cover you don't get it everywhere.
Get a paper towel or rag or something to cover your mixing bowl with or shield it or something because when you take this next step the powdered sugar is going to cloud, so if you have a nice cover you don't get it everywhere.
ABSOLUTELY ONLY mix on low. Watch it too, if you don't mix it enough it will be tough and you wont be able to do much with it. But if you mix it too much it becomes whipped butter cream icing which isn't bad but... you cant really decorate a cake with it that well.
You can experiment in lower doses until you find just the right time to start and stop the icing mixing. But after that let it sit covered (always cover it up or it will dry out fast!) for a few so it can set then its ready to use!
So then when I baked the second cakes I made one 9in round and one 5in round. The 5in became the watermelon cake (its so cute) and the spare 9in became a gift. I decorated it with a lovely tree and some grass and flowers as a gift to my dad's co-workers for teaching the cubs.
You can experiment in lower doses until you find just the right time to start and stop the icing mixing. But after that let it sit covered (always cover it up or it will dry out fast!) for a few so it can set then its ready to use!
So then when I baked the second cakes I made one 9in round and one 5in round. The 5in became the watermelon cake (its so cute) and the spare 9in became a gift. I decorated it with a lovely tree and some grass and flowers as a gift to my dad's co-workers for teaching the cubs.
The whole affair lasted until about 7pm. And between baking and decorating the whole family took a jump up to Walgreen's to get our passport photo's taken. We were going to go to the post office too but its appointment only and closed at 4, so we're going Thursday instead. I took the Swedish fish cake to my neighbor and he and his room mates really enjoyed it, they get me fish for my tank sometimes which is nice so I bake and give them my spare and practice cakes. I need another Chinese Algae eater, very useful little guys. I need a plant too >.>
While I was decorating the last cake (the gift one) some guys came and took the old upright piano... I really loved that old thing... Its more than 20 years old, probably even 40 or 50... I grew up with that piano, I learned to play on it... so I'm sad its gone but... maybe we can get something better now?
So as busy as my day was... I don't even have that much to talk about... huh...
Regardless my beloved I love you still, I wish I could show you this blog... but its real purpose is because (we both know) I wont remember whats happened these days.. and I want to tell you about them... because this is half a year without you!... My heart is hurting... Time for bed.
So as busy as my day was... I don't even have that much to talk about... huh...
Regardless my beloved I love you still, I wish I could show you this blog... but its real purpose is because (we both know) I wont remember whats happened these days.. and I want to tell you about them... because this is half a year without you!... My heart is hurting... Time for bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment